The 25th annual Berkshire Jewish Film Festival is currently underway in Lenox, just minutes away from our luxury Berkshires Bed and Breakfast. Both cinephiles and people interested in the Jewish culture and religion should take note.
The Berkshire Jewish Film Festival runs Mondays July 11 through August 22, 2011. Read on for a list of remaining films:
- Brothers examines the debate of separation of state and religion through the relationship of two brothers, a secular kibbutz Israeli and an orthodox Torah scholar living in the U.S. August 1 at 4 p.m.
- Barney’s Version is based on Mordecai Richler’s comic novel of the same name. It follows Barney Panofsky – politically incorrect, irascible, impulsive, and blunt. Starring Paul Giamatti, Dustin Hoffman, and Minnie Driver. August 1 at 8 p.m.
- Mahler on the Couch and Making Music is a behind the scenes look at Esa-Pekka Salonen and the Swedish Radio Symphonic Orchestra. August 8 at 4 p.m.
- In Miral, audiences follow a Palestinian girl in the wake of Arab-Israeli war. August 15 at 4 p.m.
- Anita follows a young woman with Down Syndrome lost in Buenos Aires after the 1994 attack on the Jewish Community Center. August 15, 8 p.m.
- Women Unchained documents the struggles of several women to obtain a “get” or Jewish divorce, and move on with their lives. “According to traditional Jewish law, a woman who is an “augur” (from the Hebrew word meaning “chained”) cannot remarry.” August 22 at 4 p.m.
Following Women Unchained, there will a closing reception and a concert by Joshua Nelson and his Kosher Gospel.
All screenings take place at the Duffin Theater at the Lenox Memorial High School, 197 East Street, Lenox. It is approximately five miles from our Berkshires Bed and Breakfast. Seating is general admission.
Extend your weekend getaway into a long weekend. Stay at our Lenox Bed and Breakfast some Monday night this August, and see a wonderful film or two at the Berkshire Jewish Film Festival. You’ll have that much longer to experience the natural beauty and cultural offerings of the Massachusetts Berkshires.